Saturday 7 November 2020

UNBOXED: A Play by BRIANA MORGAN

⭐⭐⭐⭐

 


Hey, ghosts and ghouls! Today, I have a special treat for you all, Briana Morgan’s play, UNBOXED!

The scene is set, well Act I is set where we meet Greg Zipper, a popular paranormal vlogger who is fixated with hitting 1 million subscribers! He’s nearly there, but it’s costing him his relationship with the love of his life, Alice. It appears that he is currently more connected with his vlog than the one he loves. However, Greg’s vlog is in turmoil, as a personal argument between him and Alice is recorded onto his vlog. Greg soon starts losing subscribers and decides to purchase a mystery box from the dark web to restore his losses and hit that 1 million mark! Greg soon learns it’s called the dark web for a reason when he unboxes something far more sinister that will change his life forever! 

Firstly, I wanted to share with you what possessed me to read this dark short play. 

I love films, mainly horror. Not the type where an inhuman being with a mask terrorises the victim throughout 6 films spanning two decades! No, I am more interested in the found footage genre. For me, the found footage film adds an element of realism for the viewer, which in turn makes them believe what they are seeing, is legitimate.

In 1999, I watched my first ever found footage film, The Blair Witch Project. I remember the way I felt after watching it, Scared! Even when I watch it now, it still disturbs me. Sometimes what we don’t see, frightens us the most.


Eight years later, that same dreaded feeling resurfaced, with the release of Paranormal Activity. PA for me has become the epitome of the found footage genre. The film focuses on a malevolent entity, that has leeched itself onto the films main character. The entities presence matures in the film when a video camera is bought to capture the phenomenon but instead makes it more malevolent.

This play could easily be the next on-screen found footage film. It reminded me of some of those wicked scenes from PA and left me more paranoid than the films. Ghosts and ghouls, I was scared reading Unboxed, and all I will say is this, Unboxed is not for the faint of heart but has a heartfelt ending.

Not only is this the first play that I have read as an adult, but it is the first time I have become acquainted with Briana’s work and it's excellent! Briana plays author, director and producer in one, to the point I felt like I was sat in the centre of the Belasco Theatre watching and made the whole experience real and eerie,e to say the least. 

Even though this is a short play, it captures a series of disturbing events that unbo..fold when Greg opens the box and unleashes something. The great thing about reading this compared to say watching PA, you don’t have to wait until night 15 before you get to that big scare! As soon as the box is opened, BOOM! There is a whole world of hurt coming Greg’s way, which affects his career and those that are closest to him. Will he manage to BOXer away what’s coming and regain more than just his subscribers!?

Links below: 

UNBOXED: THE PLAY available to buy on Amazon.co.uk  UNBOXED

Say hello to Briana on Twitter @brimorganbooks

Visit Brianas website Briana Morgan Link Tree


My next stop on the Briana "Boo" Morgan Tour is her latest work COMING SOON! Follow her for more details!





No comments:

Post a Comment