Monday 4 January 2021

LAST ONE TO DIE - CYNTHIA MURPHY

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Good evening to you all dear friends. My name is BookEnz and welcome to the Victorian Street Museum!. .I know you were expecting Geoffrey this evening, and I’m sure that you have heard wondrous things about his tours, but unfortunately, good ol' Geoffrey is feeling, under the weather and so I will be your tour guide this evening…..don’t be SHYYY, please! Come closer…HUDDLE folks that’s iiit, like penguins during winter hahaha yesss. Seriously though folks I insist….it was only last week we lost two valued paying customers on this tour. Two young girls. One minute they were here, the next....gone! Stay close, for I am about to take you on a journey like no other, as we explore what was once a Victorian mill along this cobbled path screaming death. Follow me, please. Any sharp splintered bones you see lying around..just ignore.

Now, this room was said to belong to a wealthy young Jane Al.....you have all stopped?....AH!...I see. You are all curious about the curios in this cabinet!? I can also see you are all enthralled by what is believed to be a fortune-telling devi...Oh, I beg your pardon! You all seem to be gazing at the vividly attractive book behind it...let’s see now...Ah yes! Last One to Die by Cynthia Murphy!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the thrill-seeking read you have been waiting for to kick start your 2021! A book set in present-day London in the first person. It's very random... I know, but a yet pertinent piece in this museum, as there are elements in this book that date baaack…..I’d say a good 200 years!

The story follows Niamh who…..What's that? Oh no, it's pronounced N-E-V-E young lad, not NI AM H!!! Yes, so NIAMH travels to London for a 6-week performing arts course and a taste of the city life. On arrival at her accommodation, she meets her new friend and coincidental course colleague, Sara. That very night, our protagonist, Niamh finds Sara bloodied up and murdered in her room. Niamh soon learns that this is going to be a life-threatening 6 weeks, as the attacks continue and with each victim resembling the protagonist. Is this a coincidence? Will Niamh be able to understand what is occurring? Will she be next? Who can she trust?

The characters Niamh interacts with, all have warmth and by the end of the book, personally felt like they were my friends. I trusted them, I loved them, I adored them, but should I have trusted all of them? Ladies and gentlemen, here is a fact for you. I learnt…..from the author…Cynthia Murphy, that the character Jess is based on one of her best friends. I know and WOW! What a harmonious gasp!... After reading this book, this particular character made me smile. I like to think that all of you have a friend like Jess, that you can turn to whatever happens in life and will always believe you, regardless of how supernatural the situation may be...  

So, where does the supernatural element come into play you all ask? Ha, well you need to buy this book and find out. I was fascinated by how elements of English folklore merged into the book, which was probably occurring during the Victorian era. You will find hints around this museum. Most likely why this book is ensconced in this cabinet. That is all I can say. If I tell you more, you may not live to hear another tale and we need Summer pounds!

From the vibrant front cover by Jamie Gregory to the very last page, Last One to Die is mind-blowingly good! The narrative is so comprehensive, you will benefit more from reading this book than looking on Google Map for your way around London! This enhances the atmosphere, crucial to this book! Last One to Die was my last read of 2020 and it didn’t disappoint. If you like a gripping book with an amusing but strong-spirited protagonist filled with suspense, end of chapter cliff-hangers, and a killer prowling the pages causing more than just paper cuts, then this is the book for you! The ending got me in the jugular! I didn’t expect the book to end the way it did, wow!

I warn you though. Be careful who you lend this book to folks, as this book comes at a price far greater than its worth! Your life! I insist you purchase it instead right here from our gift shop supporting local indies: Last One to Die - Cynthia Murphy

Follow me as we conclude our tour….What's that?.... There is something that stood behind me!? Ha, nonsense folks! You can’t fool this tour guide!....Okayy, ill bite as you’re all looking rather convincing in your conviction. I’m turning around…seeeee there is nothing ther….no..it, it can’t be…it’s not possible….Spring-heeled Ja………


No comments:

Post a Comment